Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Peace Corps Application - Part 4

Today (July 9), Jessie and I had our interview.  I showed up first at about 12:30.  My interview was about an hour long.  All of the questions that I was asked were listed in the Peace Corps Yahoo group.  I felt prepared.  It seemed that so many of my experiences were drawn from my time at the PD's office.  Our recruiter, Julia, was very impressed that we completed our applications and got all of our documentation in.  She actually mentioned it a couple times.  I asked her if this wasn't common and she told me that I would be surprised.  Hearing that makes me wonder, is the Peace Corps application process that bad or does it seem bad because all of the applicants who write about it are morons who didn't do what they were supposed to do when they were supposed to?

When Jessie showed up at about 1:30, we both got our fingerprints taken.  After that, we did the couples interview which was much shorter than I expected.  Mostly questions about what sort of lifestyle changes will affect us.  When that was done, Jessie did her individual interview.

Before I left, the recruiter told us the next step in the process.  Basically, in the next week or so, she is going to send our files to the D.C. office.  That office will then see if they can match up our skills with any programs.  If they can, they will send the information back to the Chicago office and we will likely get a nomination.  If they don't have any matches this cycle, it will be another 3 months before they attempt couples matches again.  Our recruiter actually seemed quite confident about the process which makes me think that we are not getting "rejected" in any way.  The only question is if we get a nomination sooner rather than later.

Craziness!

1 comment:

Shuttsie said...

I want to hear some life lessons learned at the PD's office!!!