Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Week 3

09/06/09 - 09/13/09

All is well here.

Let's talking about grooming and hygiene...

On Taking Baths

Jessie and I take what are known as Bucket Baths. It is exactly what it sounds like...well, unless you are imagining us sitting in a bucket. That would be weird. Basically, we have a few gallon bucket and then a large ladle called a tabo. The bucket is filled with water out of the faucet (for some they have to fill it at a water pump). The water is not warm. It is actually quite chilly. That is usually a good thing because it is so hot here, though that first splash of water over the back is usually terrible.

My technique...the bucket is full, the tabo is floating in the bucket, and I am squatting down in the shower in front of it. I then take a tabo full of water and splash it over me. Repeat, until completely wet. After that, I soap and shampoo up. I usually do this standing because my legs fall asleep if I squat too long and there is nothing more awkward turtle than being naked, soapy and unable to stand back up. When I am feeling all nice and clean, I crouch back down and begin rinsing off.

So, how does this rate compared to a normal shower. Well, it is quick and efficient. I feel good about not wasting water. The cold water certainly wakes you up in the morning. That said, there is something special about standing under a streaming of piping hot water and daydreaming (I do lots of thinking in the shower). No daydreaming in front of the bucket. Maybe when I get home, I will be more water conscious...limit myself to a water wasting dream shower only once in a while.

On Haircuts and Facial Hair

I haven't done either since getting here. I am debating just letting it grow until Swearing-In in November. That might make me look like a gross hairy man, though. Maybe you all can tell me as you see pictures posted. :-)

On Pooping

They do, in fact, have toilet paper here. I use it. I plan on using it for the foreseeable future. The plumbing in this country wasn't designed for flushing toilet paper, though. You have to throw it all in the garbage. They generally don't supply toilet paper in public toilets (or you have to pay for some). I also bring some with me. Also, a lot of toilets here, while being normal toilets with tanks, don't have plumbing to fill the tank. You have to flush the toilet by filling a bucket of water and pouring it down into the bowl. That is no big deal.

Okay, so why am I talking about this? Well, there is another cleaning yourself technique that I am very scared of. Lots of volunteers have tried it and don't seem to mind it. It involves using the tabo (ladle, see above), and even some soap, to basically give yourself a butt bath after using the toilet. I am primarily afraid of it because I did an already-clean simulation of the technique before using the bucket bath one day and I can't manage it without getting water everywhere. Imagine being in public and walking about with wet pants, feet and maybe even the back of your shirt. That is not a problem that anyone in this country seems to have...but I am apparently a disaster like that. Haha.

Alright, you now know more about my self-cleaning habits than you probably wanted. Sorry.

Anyway, I hope all is well in the States.

Peace Out

Scott

No comments: